2023 HSE Conference
The 2023 CWA/USW Health, Safety and Environment Conference (HSE) will be held April 17, 2023 through April 21, 2023, at the Westin Convention Center and Hotel in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Read more about the HSE Conference.
Workers Memorial Day 2023
The AFL-CIO materials for Workers Memorial Day 2023 are now available.
About the CWA Occupational Safety & Health Department
The CWA Occupational Safety and Health Department has as its primary responsibility the elimination/minimization of member exposure to hazardous working conditions and potentially related injuries, illnesses, and fatalities. The Department’s primary areas of activity include:
- Promoting the awareness of occupational and environmental safety and health issues and concerns,
- Training CWA members in occupational safety and health recognition and control, and
- Developing an ongoing comprehensive workplace safety and health program.
The primary work functions of the department include:
- The identification of member workplace safety and health needs,
- The development and use of information and communication tools including the CWA Occupational Safety and Health (OSH) Webpage,
- The development and dissemination of educational and training materials that target the elimination/minimization of hazardous working conditions experienced by CWA members,
- The provision of technical assistance that addresses specific member workplace safety and health hazards,
- Conducting and sponsoring both generalized and specialized occupational safety and health education and training classes/programs for CWA leaders and occupational safety and health activists, and
- Conducting and sponsoring survey and scientific research specific to the workplace safety and health hazards encountered by the Union’s members.
These activities are achieved through the development and use of a coordinated approach within CWA involving headquarters personnel as well as national, district, and local officers, leaders, and occupational safety and health activists.