In a statement this week, CWA President Chris Shelton congratulated President-Elect Joe Biden and Vice President-Elect Kamala Harris on their victory.
"The Biden Administration will restore regulations that protect and empower working people. Working people need a pro-worker National Labor Relations Board and National Mediation Board that support collective bargaining and the freedom of workers to join together in a union to improve their working conditions. We need a Secretary of Labor who will safeguard workers during and after the pandemic, prosecute wage theft, and secure retirees' pensions and retirement funds. We need the White House to ensure that government contracts support good jobs," Shelton said.
He also called on Congress to reconvene and immediately pass pandemic relief legislation that restores and expands payroll support programs, enhances unemployment insurance, and provides critical support for state and local governments.
Shelton has announced his support for Representative Andy Levin (D-Mich.) for Labor Secretary, citing Rep. Levin's strong credentials from the labor movement and passion for enhancing the lives of working people.
CWA members across the country worked tirelessly to deliver key election wins to pro-worker candidates. Here are some more wins for CWA-endorsed candidates!
- In Pennsylvania, Susan Wild and Matt Cartwright were re-elected.
- In Virginia, Abigail Spanberger and Elaine Luria were re-elected.
- In Michigan, Elissa Slotkin and Haley Stevens were re-elected.
- In Maine, Jared Golden was re-elected.
- In Minnesota, Angie Craig was re-elected.
- In North Carolina, challengers Deborah Ross and Kathy Manning both won their elections to Congress.
- In Georgia, both U.S. Senate races will be headed to a runoff election on January 5. Carolyn Bourdeaux won her race for Congress, flipping the seat from red to blue.
When we win elections, workers gain a seat at the table. In Arizona, Yolanda Bejanaro of CWA Local 7019 was named to Senator-Elect Mark Kelly's transition team!