Ask the Experts: Permissions

Question: Do I need permission to use cartoons, artwork or photos that I see in other labor publications?

Answer: Yes.  You should contact the editor of the publication and ask permission to reprint. And make sure that the publication actually has the authority to give you permission.  If the cartoon, art, or photo is copyrighted, you need permission from the artist or the syndicate that distributes the cartoon, and generally you will have to pay a fee for the rights to use it. The same rules, of course, would apply to general circulation and or non-labor publications.