Workers Memorial Day 2023
The AFL-CIO materials for Workers Memorial Day 2023 are now available.
About the CWA Occupational Safety & Health Department
The CWA Occupational Safety and Health Department has as its primary responsibility the elimination/minimization of member exposure to hazardous working conditions and potentially related injuries, illnesses, and fatalities. The Department’s primary areas of activity include:
- Promoting the awareness of occupational and environmental safety and health issues and concerns,
- Training CWA members in occupational safety and health recognition and control, and
- Developing an ongoing comprehensive workplace safety and health program.
The primary work functions of the department include:
- The identification of member workplace safety and health needs,
- The development and use of information and communication tools including the CWA Occupational Safety and Health (OSH) Webpage,
- The development and dissemination of educational and training materials that target the elimination/minimization of hazardous working conditions experienced by CWA members,
- The provision of technical assistance that addresses specific member workplace safety and health hazards,
- Conducting and sponsoring both generalized and specialized occupational safety and health education and training classes/programs for CWA leaders and occupational safety and health activists, and
- Conducting and sponsoring survey and scientific research specific to the workplace safety and health hazards encountered by the Union’s members.
These activities are achieved through the development and use of a coordinated approach within CWA involving headquarters personnel as well as national, district, and local officers, leaders, and occupational safety and health activists.
May 25, 2023
Tower Climbers Release Report Exposing Safety Hazards and Mobilize for Bill of Rights to Improve Conditions
Members of the Tower Climbers Union/CWA launched a petition earlier this month calling on the nation’s top telecom corporations to commit to improving safety standards and work conditions.
May 18, 2023
Worker Power Update
CWA healthcare workers in New Jersey rallied at the State House in Trenton to demand safe staffing and CWA members from across Ohio lobbied against efforts to eliminate the sacred principle of “one person, one vote.”
May 4, 2023
Bargaining continues at the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette and Northstar Aerospace.